About Magdeburg

Magdeburg

Magdeburg is the capital of Saxony-Anhalt and has about 240,000 inhabitants. It was first documented in 805. In the Middle Ages one of the largest cities in the German-speaking world, it had a significant position as a Hanseatic city.

Heavily destroyed in the Second World War, only a part of the old churches and buildings could be rebuilt. The old city walls and churches testify to the former splendor. 

Herrenkrug park

East of the Elbe lies the Herrenkrugpark with its equestrian facilities and the racecourse. The park can be reached via the Herrenkrugsteg, which, unlike the name suggests, is an impressive 250m long suspension bridge. The main access is but over the main street which comes from the district Cracau. In Herrenkrugpark you can walk along the river Elbe, as well as over heaths and through avenues. The Herrenkrugpark also has a large park hotel and a beer garden.

Cathedral Square

The Magdeburg Cathedral Square (Domplatz) is the oldest settlement in Magdeburg which ist documented. The cathedral square is surrounded by the cathedral, parliament, Hundertwasserhaus and the Ministry of Justice and Equality. In its immediate vicinity are the last surviving city gate of the old city Magdeburg from the year 1493, the State Chancellery and several old churches. Especially nice to look at the water features, which make children's hearts beat faster on summer days.

Hundertwasser House

The Hundertwasserhaus (Green Citadel) Magdeburg, which was completed in 2005, is the last building designed by the artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser. It stands directly on the cathedral square diagonally across from the Magdeburg Cathedral. It includes a hotel, a restaurant, a cafe, a kindergarten and several shops. The upper floors are condos.

City rampart

The first demonstrable fortifications (City rampart) were erected in Magdeburg in the 13th century and expanded over the next few centuries to such an extent that the Magdeburg fortress in the 18th century was the strongest of all Prussia. It can still be seen in many places today, but most impressively on the back of the cathedral. 

Hubbrücke

Just like the Magdeburg Cathedral, the Hubbrücke (Lift bridge) is also a landmark of Magdeburg. The 220 meter long bridge was built in 1846/47 to allow a direct rail connection from Magdeburg to Potsdam. Today the Hubbrücke is only a monument that is used by pedestrians to get from the city center to the Rotehornpark.